Whether you have been at your current location for just a year or if you have lived in the same home for over 20, it can be challenging to coordinate and plan local and interstate moving without the help of a quality moving company in Massachusetts. From residential moving protection to professional packing services, it is essential to find a West Yarmouth moving company that you can trust to get the job done right. Even if you are just planning a local move within the same town or even in the same neighborhood, there are many advantages associated with hiring movers to take care of the heavy lifting for you.
Packing the Boxes Yourself
Some customers choose to pack their own goods but hire a moving company to load and haul their belongings to the new location. This approach can be a good idea if you want to go through your things first to toss out items you no longer want or need. There’s no use in moving it to a new house if you aren’t going to use it again anyway. Below are some tips to help you improve your packing skills for local and interstate moving. However, if you have a lot of fragile or high-value items, you may want to consider increasing the basic residential moving protection and ask about professional packing services with our West Yarmouth moving company.
- put heavy items in smaller boxes and light items in larger boxes
- use proper packing materials for dishes, glasses, and fragile items
- purchase quality boxes and heavy-duty tape to protect your belongings
- pack plates and flat objects vertically instead of horizontally for better protection
- wrap artwork, framed photos, and other special items appropriately
- remove light bulbs from lamps
- ask the moving company for a “do not pack” list for things that cannot be moved in commercial vehicles due to state and federal regulations
- pack an “open first” box with essentials including toiletries, toilet paper, paper towels, the coffee pot, coffee, plastic cups, paper plates, plastic cutlery, and anything else you might need in the first 48 hours after moving
Become a List Maker
Even if you aren’t the most organized person, now is the time to make sure that you keep everything for your local and interstate moving plans in one place for easy reference. Include the quote from the moving company in Massachusetts along the contract and any notes you made while planning a local move with the logistics team. Information about residential moving protection should also be kept in a folder where you will be able to reach it quickly at any time during the moving process. Contact information for the West Yarmouth moving company, along with all other details for your move.
Outside of the moving company information, you should also gather:
- rental agreement or contract for your new home
- contact numbers for utilities and other important services
- telephone numbers for schools, doctor’s offices, hospitals, and other emergency or essential services that you might need to reach
- a list of all the things that you need to do before the move, another list of the things you need to do on moving day, and a final list of things that you want to accomplish after the moving process
- change of address details for the post office, utilities, banks, credit card companies, and other financial institutions
- contact for your insurance company to change addresses for vehicles, homeowners or renters insurance, life insurance, and any other policies
Kids & Pets
Have a plan ready for what you will do with your kids and pets during the move. Pets can benefit significantly from going into boarding when planning a local move. More extended local and interstate moving situations might mean having someone pet-sit while you make a move or boarding them until it’s time to load them into the car and follow the moving truck to the new location. Kids can benefit from being involved in the packing their own belongings to be moved by the moving company in Massachusetts. Let them pack up their toys, stuffed animals, clothing, and bedding and let them help or watch you writing their name on the boxes. This will help them understand that all of their things are also moving to the new location and that they won’t be losing anything significant.
Call Statewide Moving Company
If you are planning a local move in Southeastern Massachusetts, you can contact Statewide Moving Company to help with your plans for local and interstate moving. We have many years of experience working as a quality moving company in Massachusetts for residential and commercial clients. Planning a local move can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. Give us a call at 508-620-6411 to get a free quote from our West Yarmouth moving company and have a genuinely worry-free moving experience.